Virtual machines with just-in-time compilers are becoming more and more common as the basic technology
for implementing object-oriented languages. The project will include an implementation of the BETA language
on the Java- and .NET platforms. The main emphasis will be on the suitability of the Java- and .NET platforms
as general platforms for implementing object-oriented languages and on language interoperability.
Screenshot from Visual Studio used for editing
and debugging a BETA program. (Click to enlarge)
- Department of Computer Science, University of Aarhus
- The project is sponsored by Microsoft Denmark and Sun Microsystems Denmark.
- To get experience with implementing a language like BETA on the Java- and .NET-platforms.
- To be able to evaluate and compare the Java- and .NET platforms.
- To test language interoperability on the Java- and .NET-platforms.
- To offer a language – BETA – that can be used to write applications for the Java- and
The following Master Thesis projects are part of the project:
- Deployment of BETA programs into pervasive contexts, such as PDA's. Specifically the Microsoft .NET
Compact Framework is targeted. (Søren Smidt Hansen)
- Utilization BETA for the mobility aspects of the two platforms. Specifically the SOAP Web service
architecture is investigated. (Kim Falk Jørgensen)
The main activities of the project are the following subprojects:
- BETA.NET – porting the BETA language to the .NET-platform
- BETA.Java – porting the BETA language to the Java-platform
- Design of a mapping of BETA to Java- and C# like languages making BETA look intuitive and appealing
when used from other languages
- Implementations of BETA for the Java- and .NET-platforms
- Evaluations and comparisons of the Java- and .NET-platforms
- Experience with language interoperability on the Java- and .NET-platforms
- Ole Lehrmann Madsen - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peter Andersen - email@example.com
- Henry Michael Lassen - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Søren Smidt Hansen – email@example.com
- Kim Falk Jørgensen – firstname.lastname@example.org